The enterprise mobility revolution has begun and it is not slowing down. According to a recent Citrix report, the total number of mobile devices managed in the enterprise increased by 72% last year. Similarly, Cisco reported that 89% of users access their business applications on the go with smartphones and tablets. The number of organizations leveraging the bring your own device (BYOD) programs are increasing rapidly. BYOD programs are shown to increase employee morale, used to attract new hires, and increase employee productivity.
With more and more people performing their jobs on mobile devices, companies must respond and adapt to these trends in order to stay competitive. Research by Gartner, Inc. states by the end of 2017, market demand for mobile app development services will grow at least five times faster than internal IT Departments’ capacity to deliver them. This additional demand has dramatically increased the pressure on IT teams to deliver mobile applications. According to an Apigee report this pressure has caused IT Departments to deliver mobile applications where 45% failure to meet expectations when it comes to quality, budget, or time.
As demand for BYOD programs grow and the increase pressure for delivering enterprise mobile solutions , enterprise IT must adapt and uncover methods to include these devices within the corporate network structure. Organizations must quickly mobilize and cost-effectively develop cross-platform applications while not compromising their corporate security.
Over 80% of effort in building cross-platform mobile applications is spent on items that are not core to that app’s function or feature set. Solving issues such as security, backend system access, and device specific user experience can quickly spend valuable developer resources and delay project timelines. By utilizing Good Dynamics combined with Xamarin.Forms developers can deliver native secure enterprise mobile solutions across iOS, Android, and Windows while focusing the majority of their attention and effort on the specific business value.
Xamarin is a cross-platform mobile development toolset that enables developers to build native applications for iOS, Android, and Windows devices from a single, shared codebase. Xamarin.Forms is a cross-platform natively backed UI abstraction that allows developers to easily create user interfaces that can be shared across platforms. Here are the key business benefits by using Xamarin:
- Code Sharing – Xamarin enables developers to write backend code once and share it across mobile operating systems. By implementing Xamarin.Forms for UI shared code, developers can increase code sharing to 90% or above. At runtime, these screens and their controls are mapped to native UI elements, creating a native user experience on each platform that adheres to the design principles and user expectations of that platform. The ability to write one UI and share across the mobile platforms drastically reduces the development time and cost. Not only in the creation of the application, but in the support and enhancement phases.
- Native Applications – Xamarin compiles code and packages it for each operating system including utilizing native user interface controls. By leveraging the native device UI controls apps will higher performance and a fast responsive interface.
- MVVM Pattern – Xamarin provides the ability for applications to be designed utilizing a MVVM architecture for clean separation of UI and app logic. Two-way data bindings automatically sync data between controls and models. The MVVM pattern provides a powerful approach to creating highly maintainable and shareable code.
- Native Libraries – Unique application requirements may demand the capabilities of the native hardware SDKs or specific native features (i.e. Camera, Barcode Scanner). In these cases, Xamarin provides the developers to easily add native libraries to access native UI views and functionality on each mobile platform.
- Testing – Xamarin provides multiple testing options. Since Xamarin backend code is written in C# and compiled into a .NET assembly, developers can leverage the NUnit testing toolkit for unit tests and continuous integration testing. Xamarin also provides Xamarin.UITest, which is an automated UI acceptance testing framework built upon NUnit allowing programmers to write and execute tests in C# that validate the functionality of the applications. Xamarin also provides Xamarin Test Cloud which can automate your app testing against 2,000 different devices within the cloud to identify any hardware or platform specific issues prior to launch.
Utilizing the Good Dynamics toolkit shortens the development time by providing tools to solve the security requirements allowing programmers to focus on the creation and functionality of their enterprise mobile apps. The platform provides encryption and secure communication of sensitive company information. The framework ensures content stored on devices, sent between apps and corporate servers, and shared between Good-secured apps is always encrypted. Here are the key business benefits by using Good Dynamics for your enterprise mobile security:
- Containerization – Good Dynamics provides an enterprise ready security platform that provides the ability to isolate applications preventing intruders, system resources, or other applications from gaining access to sensitive company information.
- Secure Communications – Good Dynamics provide the ability to utilize secured bi-directional communications between your application on devices and application servers that can be in the cloud or behind a firewall through standard HTTP requests.
- Secure Storage – File system, SQLite, and iOS’s Core Data is encrypted on-device and allows secure operations, even offline situations where there’s no access to wireless.
- SDKs and Plugins – Good Dynamics provides SDKs and Plugins that can be quickly added to your integrated development environment including Xamarin Studio, Android Studio, Eclipse, Visual Studio, and Xcode.
Companies struggling with the increasing pressure for enterprise mobile apps and with these progressive demands, businesses are forced to deliver more solutions in less time. The main objective for enterprise mobile app developers would be to reduce the application development lifecycle duration and decrease the time gap that lies between ideation and launch. By utilizing the Good Dynamics, developers can significantly reduce the development effort spent on securing their application and communications with resources behind firewalls. Utilizing the Xamarin platform and Xamarin.Forms, developers can code once and create an application that can render all three major mobile device platforms. This removes the need to require separate development teams, managing separate codebases, or having to choose one platform over another representing significant cost savings and productivity gains.
Our mobility consulting professionals have extensive experience developing enterprise mobile apps utilizing Xamarin, Xamarin.Forms, and the Good Dynamics SDK to accelerate the creation of high quality, highly-secure, mission-critical enterprise apps. Contact us for more information on how we can work with you to build highly secure, cross-platform mobile applications.
This post is part of a series of building enterprise mobile applications with Good Dynamics & Xamarin. To read more click here.