During a recent Upgrade from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, we discovered that all SSRS Reports migrated from 4.0 to 2011 without any problems. However, Report Wizard Reports were inconsistent; some Users were able to run them, while others were not.
After doing some troubleshooting, it appeared the issue was related more to the CRM Security Roles rather than any specific Users. To test this theory, we added the System Administrator Role to a User record with fewer privileges, and found that the User was then able to run the Report Wizard Reports.
Furthermore, we removed the System Administrator Role and gave the User a different Security Role (one that we thought had even fewer privileges). To our surprise, the Report Wizard Reports rendered as well.
Eventually, by doing side by side comparisons, we found that the Users that were not able to run the Report Wizard Report did not have “Read” privileges on “Entity” and “Field” on the “Customizations” tab, while all other Users did.
The tricky part was that these privileges were not necessary in CRM 4.0, but apparently required in CRM 2011. As seen below, the same Security Role in CRM 4.0 does not have those privileges (CRM 4.0 “Attribute” has been renamed to “Field” in CRM 2011), but there were no problems running Report Wizard Reports.
Note: We did confirm that both “Field” and “Entity” had to be checked at least “Read” in order to run the Report Wizard Reports.