How often have you needed to update your contacts, accounts, or leads in CRM Dynamics and found the process to be daunting and complicated? If you have experienced this issue, I have provided a few simple steps and tips to guide you through the process and making importing easy, fast, and fun! For this scenario, we will work with contacts.
Ready your data for import into CRM. Ensure that your data is complete, accurate, and free from spelling errors. Most of us when updating records use Excel spreadsheets to update, add and edit the data before importing. For this step I recommend exporting your current list of contacts from CRM into an Excel file and then add/update your fields accordingly. To export your data, follow these steps:
In CRM perform the following:
- In CRM navigate to the Export to Excel tab.
- Check “Static worksheet with records from this page.” I suggest this step as we are really only concerned with exporting the table and column headings for our contact list.
- Check the box, “Make this data available for re-importing by including required column headings.”
- Click on the Export button.
- Once CRM exports your data, you will be prompted to either Open and or Save the Excel file. (I suggest that you save the file before working on it)
Update and import your data:
- Now you can enter in your contact data under the appropriate column headings. Understand that your contact list will be truncated as you only exported the current list of contacts on the page. If you need to make corrections/additions to you’re a list of all your current contacts, you can simply check “static worksheet with records from all pages in the current view,” instead of “static records from this page.”
- After your Contact data had been input and or updated. Save your file as .CSV file to prepare for your import into CRM Dynamics. * Note * in addition to .CSV file format CRM Dynamics, will also accept the following file formats; .XML, .TXT, and .ZIP.
- Navigate to Import Data Tab.
- Enter in your file name or Browse your file locations to attach the file prepared for upload into CRM. Verify your file is listed in the file to be uploaded. *Note* CRM dynamics will only allow 8 MBs files or smaller, for larger file uploads, please refer the Developer Tool for Microsoft Dynamics CRM http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=31788
- Choose Default (Automatic Mapping) and Map your record type to the Contact entity in CRM.
- Double check to make sure that you have mapped all appropriate fields and click Next.
7. Make sure to check to NO on Allow Duplicates and click Submit. Click on Finish. CRM will process your import. To check on the progress of your import, to Settings > Data Management > Imports.
8. Verify that your contact list updated successfully.
Now that you have successfully imported and updated your contacts into CRM you are ready to go. I hope you found this information helpful and useful. If you are considering implementing a CRM solution or have any questions regarding your current system, please contact West Monroe Partners to schedule a meeting with one of our qualified consultants.